Friday, June 13, 2008

Flood Pictures

The picture above shows the river that divides are town east and west. The bridge at the top of the picture is I-380 - the only means of crossing the river. If you look closely, you can see three of the main bridges completely submerged other than the tops of the railings. The buildings on the island are the Veterans' Memorial Building and the courthouse/jail.

While I was driving home from work yesterday and again on my way in today, I was able to get these incredible, heartbreaking pictures of the devastation.

Our favorite Dairy Queen

Looking towards town up 3rd Avenue SE

This image took my breath away today as I was driving north to work. I haven't been able to get it out of my head all day.


Looking south at the Quaker factory that is fixture on the west side of I-380.

The railroad bridge that comes out of Quaker. Officials put train cars on the tracks in an effort to keep the bridge from breaking free. There is a second bridge to the south that collapsed into the river yesterday. So far this one is still standing. There are houseboats that have broken free and are trapped against the bridge on the other side.
Looking west on 1st Ave from I-380 Look at the one-way sign....and the water covered that sign this morning before the crest.

No comments:

Post a Comment