Monday, August 24, 2009

Chicago - Not the best decision we've ever made!

We headed out for Chicago on Thursday morning...all of us with some sort of ailment. I think we were all fighting a virus but it was causing different symptoms in each of us. Eric was fighting an upset stomach, I had a headache, Morgan was just grumpy, and Will had a cough that just kept getting worse. Turn around! Turn around! (Both E&I thought that but we had promised Will and pre-paid for the hotel so we thought we'd make the best of it). Well, it turns out that the I-80 bridge was closed over the Mississippi leading us on a detour of southeast Iowa/southwest Illinois. *Good job honey, I was obviously NOT the best choice for navigator that day!!* The kids did remarkably well during the longer than expected trip but more fun awaited us at the hotel. Eric was keeping track of the munchkins as I went to check in and "Oh, I'm sorry Ms. Schipper, we didn't charge your room ahead of time." UMMMM, WHAT??? I have a confirmation number from March 2009 stating that I would get this incredible rate right on Michigan Avenue ONLY if I prepaid the room. Well, no, they messed up - didn't charge the room and gave us a 2 double bed room instead of the King with a rollaway that I had requested. Yay. This was not a good start to what would be a good, but frustrating and exhausting weekend. We made do with the room, Eric on one bed, me and Will on the other and Morgan on a comforter on the floor. Oh, and have I mentioned that Will turns into an Octopus when he sleeps (I swear he grows arms or legs and then he rolls around all night!!). Anyway, after we settled in a bit we ventured out onto Michigan Ave and had fun wandering the streets. We LOVED the Lego store!Friday was the big game and MAN was it a game. Except Eric & Morgan didn't get to enjoy it with us. Morgan was exhausted, needed a nap, and Eric was still fighting his bug. So off Will and I went to Wrigley. We watched as the Cubs took out their frustrations on the Pirates with a 17-2 win (including an incredible 10 run second inning). It wasn't nearly as fun without our other 1/2 but we did enjoy the game and found our brick. Friday night was collapsing after more wandering Michigan in search of Garrett's popcorn (please tell me why they don't have a store anymore on Michigan??). We headed home Saturday morning a little poorer, much more tired, but SO thankful for our beautiful home and our beds.
**Note to self - Check credit card next time to make sure pre-paid reservation was actually paid.**

No comments:

Post a Comment